History of the University
The „Hochschülchen“ (Rainer Schubert-Soldern), which is located on Türkenschanze since 1896, once was a small agricultural college founded in 1872.
The „grüne Universität im Grünen/green university on the green“ was soon called „alma mater viridis“ - „grüne Nährmutter/ green foster mother“.
The first study programmes offered were Agricultural-, Forestry studies and Environmental Engineering. In 1945 zymotechnology - later called Food Science and Biotechnology - and in 1991 Landscape Planning and Environmental Studies were added to the curricula.
Today BOKU is a modern, international University of Life Sciences with 9 Bachelor and 25 Master programmes for more than 10.000 students.