National sensory societies from 12 countries (Austria, Denmark, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, The Netherlands, United Kingdom), join the E3S confederation to promote co-operation, shared goals, integration of activities, knowledge and information exchange amongst national sensory science organisations across Europe.
The E3S Board consists of seven members: Erminio Monteleone (I) as Chair, Jaonne Hort (UK) as Vice Chair, Klaus Dürrschmid (A) as Treasurer and the representatives of Denmark, France, Spain and Sweden.
The mission of E3S is to bring together national sensory science organizations from Europe under a single organization in order to
- Facilitate the growth of Sensory Science
- Promote co-operation, shared goals, integration of activities, and knowledge and information exchange amongst national sensory science organisations in Europe
- Establish, maintain and enhance the professional status of sensory scientists
- Develop and disseminate research, innovation and education in sensory science
- Promote collaborative educational activities, such as Master and PhD courses
Selected activities of the E3S will be to:
- Organise a bi-annual European sensory conference,
- Organise meetings, for example conferences, seminars, workshops and training courses
- Support/Adopt an international scientific journal
- Maintain a society website
- Contribute to the European Committee for Standardization and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO).
As a first step three working groups were established on the three topics ISO Standard, Educational activities in Europe and Protected Designation of Origin food products.