933333 Local knowledge and ethnobiology in organic farming - introduction (in Eng.)
- Vorlesung und Seminar
- Vortragende/r (Mitwirkende/r)
- Vogl, Christian R. , Schunko, Christoph , Arhar, Eva
- Institut für Ökologischer Landbau (IFÖL)
- Angeboten im Semester
- Wintersemester 2018/19
- Unterrichts-/ Lehrsprachen
Organic farming was mainly developed by experiments and innovations of farmers and still today major developments in organic farming are advanced by organic farmers themselves. Such advances frequently stem from locally based knowledge, practice, attitudes and beliefs, which is altogether called local knowledge.
This lecture introduces the concept of local knowledge, its characteristics, potential, value and its relevance for the sustainable management of natural resources, especially in organic farming. Practical examples will be presented from several ethnobiological subdisciplines such as ethnobotany, ethnomedicine, ethnopedology and ethnoclimatology.
- Inhaltliche Voraussetzungen (erwartete Kenntnisse)
English language skills on Master level.
This lecture is the prerequisite for the course Local knowledge and ethnobiology in organic farming – methods seminar (933.334), which focuses on the tools and methods that are needed to study local knowledge of organic farmers.
By completing this course, you will:
- be familiar with the concepts of local knowledge and ethnosciences;
- recognize the value and practical potential of local knowledge and ethnosciences, especially for organic farming;
- be able to discuss and apply a simple framework for investigating local knowledge.
Noch mehr Informationen zur Lehrveranstaltung, wie Termine oder Informationen zu Prüfungen, usw. finden Sie auf der Lehrveranstaltungsseite in BOKUonline.