803007 Microspectroscopic techniques in biological & bioinspired material research (in Eng.)
- Vortragende/r (Mitwirkende/r)
- Gierlinger, Notburga
- Institut für Biophysik
- Angeboten im Semester
- Wintersemester 2018/19
- Unterrichts-/ Lehrsprachen
Technological advances have enabled to couple spectroscopic techniques, such as infrared and Raman spectroscopy, successfully with microscopy and still gaining enough signal for biological and bioinspired material research. These material are optimized for different functionalities at the several hierarchical levels, from the macro down to the micro, nano and molecular scale. Thus it is not enough to reveal the chemical composition per se or only the structure for understanding important structure-function relationships and biological material design. Microspectroscopic methods have shown high potential to reveal the molecular structure in context with the given micro- and nanostructure and by this important insights into biological and bioinspired materials.
Within this lecture basic principles will be included as well as latest advances in instrumentation and applications on biological and bioinspired materials.
• Biological material design: basic building blocks and principles of optimization at different hierarchical levels shown on several examples ( adjusted on the attending student interests)
• Principles of Raman and infrared spectroscopy and combination with microscopy, instrumentation, sample preparation and spectral data acquisition
• Spectral data analysis including hyperspectral image analysis by multivariate statistics
• Examples of different applications (including research at BOKU)
- Inhaltliche Voraussetzungen (erwartete Kenntnisse)
University introductory level of physics, chemistry and biology
• Awake the interest of the students in biological & bioinspired material research
• Basic knowledge on concepts of biological material design
• Understanding the principles and thus advantages (potential) as well as disadvantages (limitations) of Infrared and Raman microscopy
• Being able to choose the method of choice for different research questions
• Having an overview about possibilities and pitfalls in spectra data analysis
Noch mehr Informationen zur Lehrveranstaltung, wie Termine oder Informationen zu Prüfungen, usw. finden Sie auf der Lehrveranstaltungsseite in BOKUonline.