933317 Organic farming in the public debate (in Eng.)
- Vorlesung und Seminar
- Vortragende/r (Mitwirkende/r)
- Freyer, Bernhard
- Institut für Ökologischer Landbau (IFÖL)
- Angeboten im Semester
- Sommersemester 2019
- Unterrichts-/ Lehrsprachen
The organic agriculture movement has a long history as both a participant and a subject of public debates. For example, debates over farmers’ rights, healthy food, environmental sustainability, consumer responsibilities, food labels, market access, food safety have affected and been affected by the development of the organic farming.
These debates are controversial! Latest debates are about organic food systems and the question how organic can feed the world. Besides that there are concrete questions about how organic food systems make a difference between the conventional / mainstream one? Therefore the aim of this seminar is to get a profound overview on the debate about organic food systems and to analyse the pro and cons of this discussion via conferences / literature and qualitative interviews.
Doing so, we follow three steps:
1. Analysing, discussing and summarizing of the key papers on organic food systems (papers will be
available end of january 2018)(see also: Bernhard Freyer 2016. Ökologischer Landbau. Grundlagen,
Wissensstand und Herausforderungen UTB Stuttgart, 711 S.
Remark: for native english speaking students who do not know the german language: all other
literature is in english language
2. Introduction and deepening qualitative interview / focusgroup discussion / One interview about organic food systems
3. Synthesis of the findings
Facultative but highly recommended is
(a) the Bioaustria Bauerntage 2017 (31.1.-2.2.2018) http://www.bio-austria.at/event/bio-austria-bauerntage-2018/
(b) Biofach Nürnberg (14.2.-18. 2.2018) - lots in english! https://www.biofach.de/en/food
A key issue of this lecture is to learn
(a) how to prepare and make qualitative interviews,
(b) how to analyse interviews and
(c) how to write the results of a qualitative interview.
There will be a profound training of the methods. A relevant part of the lecture time will be used for interview exercises. Pre-knowledge is of advantage but not a must. A manuscript on qualitative interviews will guide us through this process.
If you have any questions, please ask via email
- Inhaltliche Voraussetzungen (erwartete Kenntnisse)
Basic knowledge in organic agriculture and qualitative interview methods are an advantage
Students, who fulfil the requirements for passing this course will:
1) gain an advanced / profound knowledge of qualitative interview methods
2) gain an advanced / profound knowledge of the discourse on Organic Food systems
3) be able to identify and critically reflect upon and interpret discourses in their day to day life
4) increase their confidence about presenting and discussing their own ideas and viewpoints
5) know all kind of relevant sources about qualitative interview methods and are well prepared for applying qualitative interview methods for other research cases
Noch mehr Informationen zur Lehrveranstaltung, wie Termine oder Informationen zu Prüfungen, usw. finden Sie auf der Lehrveranstaltungsseite in BOKUonline.