933302 Protection of natural resources by organic farming (in Eng.)
- Vorlesung und Seminar
- Vortragende/r (Mitwirkende/r)
- Gollner, Gabriele , Lynch, Derek , Kristandl, Viktoria
- Institut für Ökologischer Landbau (IFÖL)
- Angeboten im Semester
- Wintersemester 2018/19
- Unterrichts-/ Lehrsprachen
- Climate protection and organic farming
- Water conservation and organic farming
- Species diversity and organic farming
Special topic 'Environmental and ecological impact of organic farming systems’ with guest lector Prof. Derek Lynch (Dalhousie University, Canada)
1. Environmental and ecological impact of organic farming systems, with a particular focus on data from Canada and North America. This will include farm energy and nutrient footprint, soil health, greenhouse gas and nitrate losses, microbial and macrofauna abundance and diversity.
2. Influence of farming systems and production system intensity, plus specific farm management practices on soil organic matter, soil quality and soil health. Management practices considered would including rotations and green manure management, no-till management of green manures, manures and composts and mulches etc.
Approaches to measuring and tracking ‘ active’ fractions and total organic matter and how these components are related to soil health and nutrient dynamics.
3. Organic phosphorus turnover and its role in fertility for organic farms
-Seminar thesis (group work)
- Being able to recognise and analyse relationships between land management and protection of natural resources
- Being able to describe the significance of organic farming for protection of natural resources
- Being able to compare conventional versus organic cropping systems
- Apply basic knowledge
Noch mehr Informationen zur Lehrveranstaltung, wie Termine oder Informationen zu Prüfungen, usw. finden Sie auf der Lehrveranstaltungsseite in BOKUonline.