933321 Development processes of organic agriculture in tropical and subtropical regions (in Eng.)
- Vortragende/r (Mitwirkende/r)
- Dietrich, Phillipp
- Institut für Ökologischer Landbau (IFÖL)
- Angeboten im Semester
- Sommersemester 2018
- Unterrichts-/ Lehrsprachen
“The way the world grows its food will have to change radically to better serve the poor and hungry if the world is to cope with a growing population and climate change while avoiding social breakdown and environmental collapse.”
The International Assessment of Agricultural Knowledge, Science and Technology for Development, 2009.
Organic agriculture is one of several agricultural approaches that could help to meet future societal challenges on global scale.
This seminar explores the opportunities (and limitations) of organic agriculture in tropical and subtropical regions, as the institutionalisation of organic agriculture is underway, but still plays a largely subordinate role.
The potential for organic agriculture is related to understand the development processes at different inter-related levels and from multiple perspectives. Therefore the concept of development (and the development debate) and related concepts are reflected historically and institutionally within the seminar.
To exemplify the theoretical approaches we will focus on the evolution of food systems and to a certain extend on the organic food chain in Uganda within the seminar: from local level (organic farmers in Uganda) to global scale (international institutions and the primacy of market economy).
Formal information: this course is blocked partly (see below).
• To acquire knowledge on the concepts of development and underlying theories: to be conscious about its history and the different meanings in the development debate where organic agriculture is embedded in
• To understand the potential and limitations of organic agriculture to meet the societal, ecological and economic challenges in tropical and subtropical regions
• To be trained in reading and understanding of scientific articles
• To enable writing an essay and so as that to argue his/her opinion on a certain issue / to enable elaborating a poster
Noch mehr Informationen zur Lehrveranstaltung, wie Termine oder Informationen zu Prüfungen, usw. finden Sie auf der Lehrveranstaltungsseite in BOKUonline.