791023 What you always wanted to know about nanoparticles (and never dared to ask) (in Eng.)
- Vorlesung und Seminar
- Vortragende/r (Mitwirkende/r)
- Tan, Cherng-Wen Darren , Ehmoser, Eva-Kathrin , Part, Florian
- Institut für Biotechnologie
- Angeboten im Semester
- Wintersemester 2017/18
- Unterrichts-/ Lehrsprachen
Nanotechnology is one of the "hot topics" of our time. News reports and public opinions range from hype to hysteria about safety concerns.
In this course we will address a wide range of questions and issues concerned with nanomaterials including their technological and biomedical potential and the possible impact on cells, organisms and the environment.
•Nanomaterial definitions: natural vs. man-made (engineered or ENMs) nanomaterials; differences of nanomaterials vs. bulk materials; Nanomaterials used today
• Investigating on the nano scale: Methods and technologies for characterization of ENMs (from scattering to spectroscopic methods); Synthesis and manufacturing of ENMs; Fabrication and Functionalization
• Nano risk assessment: Nanotoxicity – a valid term?; Nano risk assessment of a selected product; Possible effects of ENMs on living systems; Models, calculations and simulations for ENM exposure, distribution, etc; Cell culture and animal models for nano risk assessment
After completing the course the students …
-Can describe the special characteristics of nano-structured materials.
-Know different methods for ENM fabrication and analysis.
-Understand the critical aspects of ENM risk assessment for organisms and the environment.
-Understand the need for standardization in the field of nanotechnology (especially tracing methods), know current efforts and strategies and are able to critically assess the ongoing developments.
Noch mehr Informationen zur Lehrveranstaltung, wie Termine oder Informationen zu Prüfungen, usw. finden Sie auf der Lehrveranstaltungsseite in BOKUonline.