791370 Mechanisms of cell regulation in biotechnology (in Eng.)
- Vortragende/r (Mitwirkende/r)
- Grillari, Johannes , Gasser, Brigitte
- Institut für Biotechnologie
- Angeboten im Semester
- Sommersemester 2018
- Unterrichts-/ Lehrsprachen
This course is held as lecture AND seminar, which means that the major principles of biological control mechanisms in prokaryotes and eukaryotes (regulation of transcription and translation; regulation of protein activity; external signals), background on functional regulatory units (operons, feedback loops, global metabolic control) and an overview on analytical methods are presented as lectures in the first week.
Based on this, the students are encouraged to research and present information on regulation of one specific cellular process in the second week. Especially, applications of biological control in a biotechnological context and biotechnologically relevant control mechanisms will be covered. Such a seminar work will be the major part of the course evaluation.
- Functional principles of control
- Overview on analytical methods
- Biological control mechanisms: regulation and transcription and translation in prokaryotes and eukaryotes; regulation of protein activity; external signals
- Functional units: operons, feedback loops, global metabolic control
- Metabolic analysis and metabolic modelling: Metabolic flux analysis; metabolic control analysis
Seminar part: Application of biological control to biotechnological processes
Selected topics of
- Regulation of carbohydrate and energy metabolism
- Regulation of amino acid and protein metabolism (synthesis, processing, transport, and degradation)
- Regulation of cell division and cell cycle
- Inhaltliche Voraussetzungen (erwartete Kenntnisse)
While there are no formal requirements, a good background in biochemistry and molecular biology is expected.
After completion of this course students are able to give an overview on biological control mechanisms in prokaryotes and eukaryotes and on the relevance of biological control mechanism in a biotechnological context based on selected examples
Noch mehr Informationen zur Lehrveranstaltung, wie Termine oder Informationen zu Prüfungen, usw. finden Sie auf der Lehrveranstaltungsseite in BOKUonline.