933316 Organic farming and regional development (in Eng.)
- Vortragende/r (Mitwirkende/r)
- Vogl, Christian R.
- Institut für Ökologischer Landbau (IFÖL)
- Angeboten im Semester
- Sommersemester 2018
- Unterrichts-/ Lehrsprachen
The focus of the course will be on Local Food Systems (LFS).
LFS (e.g. food coops, CSA, box schemes, farmers' markets, etc.) may be one way to move the overall food system into a more environmentally friendly and socially just direction. But LFS typically only involve small numbers of farmers and consumers, and therefore have limited impact on the overall food system.
The overall question that we will try to answer in the project is how LFS can manage growth and spread in a way that goals and values (e.g. local production, communication between producers and consumers) are supported. A special focus will be on LFS in urban areas, where they may play an important role in the "reconnection" of consumers with agricultural production.
- Inhaltliche Voraussetzungen (erwartete Kenntnisse)
It is advisable that you bring basic knowledge about organic agriculture and enthusiasm for the topic - then it will be an interesting and successful project course!
Commitment we expect of the students:
* High interest in the subject of the course
* Regular attendance
* Active participation, engagement & willingness to work in a team
* Capability to self-organization within the group with methods of project management
* Write up and present a final report of the project and its results
* Learn about and understand different concepts within the context of alternative food systems (e.g., box schemes, food-coops, CSA, civic food networks, food sovereignty)
* Gain insight into the interaction between organic farming and regional development
* Analyze alternatives for a more sustainable food system by investigating practical examples
* Learn and apply scientific and project-oriented working methods
Noch mehr Informationen zur Lehrveranstaltung, wie Termine oder Informationen zu Prüfungen, usw. finden Sie auf der Lehrveranstaltungsseite in BOKUonline.