Vacancy at ICARDA: Rangeland Landscape Ecologist in Amman, Jordan - Internationally Recruited Staff
Reports to: Range Ecology and Management Research Scientist
Location: Amman, Jordan
Closing date: 31 December, 2016
Main purpose of the position:
The PDF – Rangeland Landscape Ecologist will work within the multidisciplinary SIRPSP team and contribute to the development and implementation of integrated rangeland-livestock projects in the mandated dry areas of ICARDA. The position is key for implementing the Center’s research on rangeland ecology and management to support poor and vulnerable smallholder farmers and agro-pastoralists.
- Design and conduct research, data collection, analysis and reporting activities to support the development of sustainable rangeland management practices, innovative approaches, new tools and technologies;
-Conduct baseline studies to document the pastoral and agro-pastorals’ indigenous knowledge on sustainable integrated natural resources management;
- Carry out and supervise community-based rangeland rehabilitation and management activities
- Contribute to the assessments of ecological impacts such as impact of climate change on rangelands;
- Contribute to institutional capacity development of national partners through training, supervision and technical backstopping;
- Publish in ISI refereed journals with a focus on rangeland ecology and management;
- Contribute to resource mobilization activities;
- Represent ICARDA in regional and international fora;
Perform other duties assigned by the senior rangeland scientist.
Education, qualifications and experience
- Earned PhD degree in rangeland ecology and management (preferably landscape ecology) or related field;
- Proven experience in field-based research, rangeland monitoring and assessment;
- Knowledge of rangeland plant taxonomy especially in the main ICARDA geographic regions the Centre operates;
Knowledge of, and experience in, participatory and community-based approaches to research-for-development;
- Proficiency in using modern technologies such as GIS/remote sensing, cloud based mobile data collection platform and ecological modelling;
- Capacity to plan, design and implement research and demonstration programs;
- Fluency in spoken and written English. Additional languages that would be an advantage are French and/or Arabic;
- Work experience in developing countries is desirable;
- Ability to work in a team and supervise technical staff.
Terms of appointment, salary and benefits
This is an international recruited position. ICARDA offers an attractive remuneration package, including a competitive salary, housing allowance, contribution towards relocation costs, home leave provisions, medical and life insurance. The successful candidate will be appointed for a maximum three-year contract, confirmation of which will be subject to a probationary period of 12 months.
How to apply
Please apply online at www.icarda.org/iea/ by 31 December 2016
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from women.
Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.