"International PhD programme in Biotechnology – BIOTECH.DOC" offers 6 research grants (PhD) positions for Portuguese Citizens or foreign citizens with permanent residence in Portugal – application deadline 13.4.2016
Field of study: Biotechnology
The target population of this PhD programme are graduates willing to improve their expertise and research skills in the Biotechnology area. This PhD programme, with the financial support of ESF – European Social Fund, is suited to prepare professionals for research, academic, industry and entrepreneurship careers and, thus, those interested in such professional areas are major representatives of the target population.
Only Portuguese citizens or foreign citizens with permanent residence in Portugal may apply to this PhD grants call.
Applicants to this PhD programme should, at the starting date
- i) hold a Master's degree or legal equivalent in Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Engineering or similar areas;
- ii) hold a bachelor degree and an academic or scientific curriculum that is recognized as relevant and attesting the capacity to carry out this cycle of studies by Escola Superior de Biotecnologia (ESB) Scientific Committee;
- iii) hold a recognized academic, scientific or professional curriculum, attesting ability to complete this cycle studies, by ESB Scientific Committee.
Students must show English skills through the presentation of an official diploma (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge FCE, Cambridge-Michigan ECCE and ECPE; grading over 60%) or through statement of knowledge.
Besides the admission criteria mentioned above, also the interests in the research lines and topics available in the PhD programme will be considered. An essay written by the candidate on state of purpose evaluates this parameter.
Objectives and scientific supervision:
The main objective of the PhD programme in Biotechnology (BIOTECH.DOC) is to prepare a new generation of professionals, capable of promoting R&D activities, both at academic, research and industry environments.
The research projects as well as the supervision will be set with the selected candidates according to their preferences and the guidelines of the directive board of the PhD program.
The work will be developed mainly at CBQF – Cent ro de Biotecnologia e Química Fina, Universidade Católica Portuguesa – Escola Superior de Biotecnologia. A compulsory period of 3 to 12 months will be carried out in one of the five partner institutions:
- Alma Mater Studiorum, University of Bologna, Italy
- Wageningen University, Netherlands
- Delft University of Technology, Netherlands
- BOKU University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Vienna, Austria
- University of the Balearic Islands, Spain
Duration (s) of grant (s):
The grant will last for 12 months (with possibility of renewal for more 2 consecutive years, depending on performance), starting on 1st May 2016.
The contracting process of the grants is subjected to the signing of the institutional contract with the funding entity .
Value of monthly maintenance allowance: The amount of the grant corresponds to € 980, as table of grant amounts awarded directly by the FCT, IP in the country ).
The selection of candidates will be made on the basis of curriculum evaluation, essay written by the candidate on state of purpose, and language skills. The final decision may involve, if necessary, an interview with the best positioned candidates.
Selection Jury composition:
Jury President: Prof. Dr. António Rangel;
Effective Members: Professors Cristina L.M. Silva,
Manuela Pintado, Paula Teixeira, Timothy Hogg; Substitutes: Professors Paula Castro and Célia Manaia.
Form of advertising / notification of results: The final results of the selection will be publicized as a list sorted in order of ranking of candidates and fixed in a visible and public place on the Escola Superior de Biotecnologia – Universidade Católica Portuguesa, Rua Arquiteto Lobão Vital, Apartado 2511 - Porto, and the candidates will be notified through email.
Deadline for application and presentation of applications: The call will be open from 31th March to 13th April 2016.
Applications must be formalized by application letter sending the following documents:
(1) Motivation letter with the reference of fellowship (NORTE-08-5369-FSE-000007 BPD_1);
(2) detailed CV (referring to research experience, and attaching relevant documents such as diploma copies and classifications, transcript of records, copies of publications, work
(3) English language certificate or statement of knowledge);
(4) Two letters of reference and two contacts that the selection jury may contact for applicant's reference;
(5) If foreign citizen, proof of permanent residence in Portugal.
Applications must be personally delivered to the Directorate of Personnel Management of the Universidade Católica Portuguesa or sent by regular mail (registered mail) to:
Universidade Católica Portuguesa – Centro Regional do Porto,Campus Asprela
Directorate of Personnel Management
Dr. Claúdia Cabral
Rua Arquiteto Lobão Vital, Apartado 2511
Contact for inquiries:
Directorate of Personnel Management