Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at the University of Stellenbosch, South Africa - Project Title: Wine grape berry polysaccharide development and turnover in the context of ripening and plant-pathogen interactions
Scope of Research:
The research relates to furthering the biological understanding around the role of plant cell wall polymers in the context of grape ripening and plant-pathogen interactions in a viticultural setting.
The research fellowship will be focused on the development of bio-analytical and immunochemical skills in the field of plant cell walls as applied to grapes and wine. The postdoctoral candidate will have the opportunity to work on individual research as well as to work within a team (and support the broader environment).
Host: This project will be hosted in Department of Viticulture and Oenology/Institute for Wine Biotechnology/Institute for Grape and Wine Sciences, at Stellenbosch University.
PhD (must have graduated within the last five years)
- Skills required in chromatography (DEAE; HPAEC; GC-MS; LC-MS), mass spectrometry (MALDI ; ESI ; MS/MS), immunochemistry (indirect and competitive ELISA), immunofluorescence and light
- microscopy, sterile cell cultures for monoclonal antibody production against plant cell wall glycan
- production; PCR and gel electrophoreses; knowledge of CoMPP cell wall methodology.
- Extensive knowledge in the field of plant cell walls; experience working with polymers derived from
- grape cell walls in the context of wine.
- Basic computer literacy (Microsoft Office etc.)
Commencement of duties: As soon as possible
Enquiries: Send a letter of application, a comprehensive curriculum vitae, including list of publications and the names and contact details of at least two referees, to Dr John Moore (moorejp(at)sun.ac.za)
Applicants should request their referees to forward confidential reports by the closing date direct to the same address. Enquiries regarding the fellowship (which is for two years, with an option to renew) and requests for additional information can be directed to the address below.
Institute for Wine Biotechnology, Department of Viticulture and Oenology,
Faculty of AgriSciences, Stellenbosch University, Matieland 7602, South Africa
Tel. +27 21 808 2733, Fax. +27 21 808 3771, e-mail: moorejp(at)sun.ac.za
Institute: + 27 21 808 3770, Website: http://academic.sun.ac.za/wine_biotechnology/