912302 Experimental methods in forest ecology
- Lecture and seminar
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Sandén, Hans , Rewald, Boris
- Institute of Forest Ecology (IFE)
- Offered in
- Sommersemester 2019
- Languages of instruction
- Deutsch, Englisch
A fundamental skill in ecology is the ability to collect and analyse biological data efficiently and correctly.
After an introductory lecture, lab experiments will be conducted to introduce students to important experimental methods in forest ecology. The experiments will be either chaired Dr. Sandén and Dr. Rewald. Topics covered are e.g.
Dr. Sandén: Soil enzyme activity, staining techniques (mycorrhiza identification/quantification), biomass quantification or similar
Dr. Rewald: Sperry apparatus (axial conductivity and embolism), Scholander bomb (pV curve), Oxygen Electrode (tissue respiration), WinRhizo (root surface and morphology), Minirhizotron (root growth in situ)
Experimental demonstrations are carried out in front of the whole group, the experimentation takes place in small groups (2-3 persons). Per group four experiments are carried out (1 per session) and analyzed and presented. A detailed protocol has to be written and will be graded.
Each scheduled day you will work either morning or afternoon. This will be decided on the first short meeting
- Previous knowledge expected
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
After successful completion of this course, students are expected to be able to:
- conduct independent and collaborative work on a forest ecology field or lab study with various methods
- manage the transition between the completion of data acquisition and the start of data analysis (organizing ecological data into Excel spreadsheets for analysis of patterns and correlations)
- analyse, interpret and communicate (written) experimental data in the field of experimental forest ecology
- evaluate the experimental design and methods of ecological research projects
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.