933336 Food sovereignty - theory and practice of an alternative food and agriculture system
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Leitgeb, Friedrich
- Division of Organic Farming (IFÖL)
- Offered in
- Sommersemester 2018
- Languages of instruction
Food sovereignty has been promoted by the international peasant movement Vía Campesina and other local, national and transnational groups since 1996. Food sovereignty is the right of peoples to healthy and culturally appropriate food produced through ecologically sound and sustainable methods, and their right to define their own food and agriculture systems without undermining the living possibilities of other peoples and regions. Food is not produced to make profit, but in order to allow a good living for everybody.
The lecture will highlight the many facets of food sovereignty, looking at all its implications from different perspectives. The lecture should give a deep insight into the problems of our current food and agricultural system, discuss prevailing obstacles and challenges, and present possible alternatives and options for future action.
Food sovereignty lectures summer term 2016
1. An introduction to food sovereignty –peasant agriculture today
2. Right to food – why food should be a commons not a commodity
3. International farming politics - WTO, GAP, TTIP-> Impacts on Agriculture
4. Food Regimes, retail revolution, the north-south model and neo colonialism
5. Industriual farming and peasantry – limits of growth and potentials of small scale farming
6. Land grabbing and acces to land – green grabbing and renewables
7. Does growth hurt?
8. GMOs, the green revolution and herbicide resistance
9. Seeds of change
A debate with activists and organisations such as:
FIAN – Hands on the Land
Urbangardening – Guerillia Guardening
Community growing projects
ÖBV – LA Via Campesina Nyéléni
Solila – Reclaim the Fields
- Previous knowledge expected
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
Understand key concepts of food sovereignty.
Being able to critically assess the own food consumption behavior / behavior as consumer.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.