932323 Poultry science
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Winckler, Christoph , Zollitsch, Werner , Fürst-Waltl, Birgit
- Division of Livestock Sciences (NUWI)
- Offered in
- Wintersemester 2017/18
- Languages of instruction
1. Specifics of anatomy and physiology in poultry.
2. Presentation and discussion of selected aspects of poultry science:
a. Breeding: breeding goals, selection traits, breeding programs, performance and its limitations.
b. Husbandry and management: concepts of husbandry systems, lighting programs; catching, loading and slaughering of poultry, aspects of animal welfare, behavioral disorders (e.g. cannibalism, feather pecking).
c. Nutrition: Impact of feeding programs on performance and animal health.
d. Other aspects: diseases in poultry, structures of the Austrian poultry industry (guest lecturers).
- Previous knowledge expected
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
Achieving a basic understanding of the nature of poultry and the impacts of practical poultry production systems, respectively.
Knowledge of some important problems of poultry production which are currently discussed in the scientific literature.
Ability to discuss relevant literature sources.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.