911328 Chemistry of soil water
- Lecture and exercise
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Institute of Soil Research (IBF)
- Offered in
- Wintersemester 2017/18
- Languages of instruction
Theory of chemical speciation and chemical reactions in the solution phase; models to calculate chemical speciation and interactions with the soil solid phase.
The overall intention is to teach how chemical information can be evaluated.
- acquaintance of students with base concepts in soil chemistry
(formation of chemical species; formation of chemical complexes; acid/base reactions; dissolution of gases (e.g. CO2) in soil water; dissolution of the solid phase (rock weathering)
- representing the chemical topic in the simulation program PHREEQC (https://wwwbrr.cr.usgs.gov/projects/GWC_coupled/phreeqc.v1/).
- Previous knowledge expected
The simulation program PHREEQC is highly versatile. Downloading the program is recommended (https://wwwbrr.cr.usgs.gov/projects/GWC_coupled/phreeqc.v1/).
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
Understanding of chemical reactions in soil solution, learning of methods of calculation and modelling chemical speciation in soil solution.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.