120029 English for science and technology (C1)
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Center for International Relations (CIR)
- Offered in
- Wintersemester 2016/17
- Languages of instruction
English for Specific Purposes (Englische Fachsprache) is offered as a lecture with exercise character running for two consecutive semesters. Its aim is to acquaint students with the basic and most common academic and scientific communication assets in English or 'Globish', rather. Predefined tasks are: individually drafting and presenting a scientific poster and writing a 1500 word scientific paper on a topic of choice. Terminology and glossary work will allow for specific vocabulary building and regular topic related debates which are prepared by specific articles and texts will enhance the participant's ability to argue and present in English in a factual and substantive manner.
- Previous knowledge expected
- Students must be at least in their 5th semester;
- They must have completed English IV with "sehr gut" or "gut" and a copy of the certificate must be presented on registration;
- They must attend the introductory session during the first lecture of the course.
If a student has not passed English IV with "sehr gut" or "gut":
1. Registration in BOKUonline
2. Attendance at the Introductory session during the first lecture of the course;
3. Present the lecturer on that occasion with either:
(a) A certificate showing successful completion of an advanced English course at "Independent User [B2 Vantage] level", or
(b) Proof of attendance for at least 6 months at a secondary school or university having English as teaching language.
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
The aim of this course is that students will master effective scientific communication in English, both in oral and written form with particular focus on subjects relevant to students studying at BOKU.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.