791383 Bioinformatics: Selected aspects
- Lecture and exercise
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Kreil, David Philip
- Institute of Biotechnology
- Offered in
- Sommersemester 2018
- Languages of instruction
The topics of
- gene expression profiling
- the limits of next-generation-sequening
- the principles of operation of DNA microarrays
- questions of experimental design, and
- current technical developments and challenges
are all covered in addition to
- the foundations of computer based data analysis, ranging from signal level data transforms and statistical tests to more advanced models. The analysis of results includes functional considerations. The learned approaches are then applied to a use-case selected reflecting current developments and the interests of participants.
The course is held in English.
We look forward to seeing you!
Course overview: http://bioinf.boku.ac.at/newweb/pages/SemLec.php
- Previous knowledge expected
A familiarity with computer based methods and concepts of data analysis will be helpful. We expect everyone to have a basic working knowledge of the "R" statistical data analysis language. For Boku students, we highly recommend the course "Statistics with R" to be completed in the same term or earlier terms.
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
In a blocked series of sessions, massively parallel analysis of gene transcript expression by DNA microarray technology is introduced and practised, so that students are then able to identify and propose effective experimental designs, analyse signal level data in order to detect and compensate technical artefacts, and finally infer robust patterns of biological relevance, assessing their statistical significance and critically appreciating their functional meaning. Finally, students will be able to apply their skills to the analysis of a public data set or a current challenge from their own recent research work.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.