752336 Dairy technology
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Institute of Food Technology
- Offered in
- Sommersemester 2018
- Languages of instruction
* Importance of milk processing (in Austria and worldwide);
* Milk constituents and their technological importance/value (e.g., milk protein, milk fat, lactose, minerals, vitamins, cellular compounds, aroma and taste producing compounds, residues and contaminants);
* Basic dairy processing steps (e.g., separator, homogenistaor, pasteurization; filtration technology); ,
* Manufacturing procedures/technology of the most relevant dairy products (e.g., liquid milk, fermented milk products, cream, butter, evaporated milk, milk powder, fresh cheeses, ripened cheeses, processed cheeses; utilisation of dairy by-products).
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
After having successfully completed this lecture, students will be familiar with the principles of dairy technology, and are able to apply this knowledge in practice. They know about the importance of dairy technology, the relevant milk constituents and their technological properties. In addition, they learn about the treatment of milk, and the manufacturing procedures of most relevant dairy products (e.g., liquid milk, fermented milk, cream, butter, milk powder, fresh cheese, ripened cheese, and processed cheese). Students will have comprehensive theoretical knowledge and competence in the area of dairy technology, and will be able to use these skills also in the production of milk and dairy products.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.