941327 Oncology for biotechnologists
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Institute of Applied Genetics and Cell Biology (IAGZ)
- Offered in
- Sommersemester 2018
- Languages of instruction
Part of Prof. Robert Mader (Division of Clinical Oncology, Medical University of Vienna): molecular oncology - tumor pharmacology
Topics: basics of oncology; therapeutic concepts in oncology; development of new anti-cancer drugs; pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, pharmacogenetics; gender-specific tumor pharmacology; tumor biology as starting point for new therapeutic concepts; tumor markers, biomarkers and stratified medicine; microRNAs: diagnostic, predictive and therapeutic aspects; resistance to oncological therapy.
Part of Prof. Robert Eferl (Institute of Cancer Research, Medical University of Vienna): molecular oncology - tumor biology
Topics: molecular basis of tumorigenesis; oncogenes and tumor suppressors; gene expression in tumors; tumor angiogenesis and inflammation; invasion and metastasis; experimental methods in cancer research; mouse models in cancer research; new strategies for the treatment of cancers.
- Previous knowledge expected
Basic knowledge of biochemistry, cell and molecular biology.
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
After successful completion of the course, the participants will have gained
- a general understanding of the molecular processes that lead to the development of cancers
- knowledge of the most important therapeutic approaches for the treatment of cancer patients.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.