754355 Milk analysis
- Exercise course
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Mayer, Helmut , Schmidt, Anatol , Binder, Melanie , Mayer, Valentina , Bogner, Clemens
- Institute of Food Science
- Offered in
- Sommersemester 2018
- Languages of instruction
The course will focus on two topics:
1) basic analytical methods for the determination of the gross composition of milk (fat, protein and lactose), determination of heat load and detection of water addition
2) basic methods for the microbiological examination of milk (total plate count, MPN coliforms, anaerobic sporeforming bacteria), determination of the somatic cell count, lipopolysaccharide and antibiotics testing)
- Previous knowledge expected
Basic knowledge in chemical and microbiological food laboratory (e.g., accurate pipetting with micropipettes and graduated pipettes; handling of analytical balances; principles of "inoculation without contamination" of pure cultures!!!) as well as understanding of the fundamental aspects of "laboratory safety" (e.g., safe handling of chemicals as well as microorganisms, cleanliness and order, to avoid endangering persons in the chemical and microbiological laboratory) !!!
==> If these prerequisites are not fulfilled, a safe and efficient work in this Practical Course is definitely NOT possible !!!
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
After having successfully completed this course, students will be familiar with the principles of chemical and microbiological milk analyses, and are able to apply this knowledge in practice. They will know the guidelines for appropriate sampling of milk and dairy products, and the most important physico-chemical and microbiological parameters in milk analysis (e.g., dry mass, milk protein, milk fat, lactose and ash content, determination of pH-value, density, refraction index, polarisation, freezing point, freshness and indicators for the evaluation of heat load of milk; microbial count, somatic cell count, and fermentation inhibitors). Students will have good knowledge and competence in the area of chemical and microbiological milk analyses, and will be able to use these skills in routine analysis of milk and dairy products.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.