933319 Global case studies on organic agriculture
- Lecture and seminar
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Oberländer, Sarah , Freyer, Bernhard
- Division of Organic Farming (IFÖL)
- Offered in
- Wintersemester 2017/18
- Languages of instruction
The seminar serves as a preparation for the project lecture 933.323 in SS 2018, where we visit for approx. 10 days Ethiopia to analyse smallholder farmers practices in collaboration with the students of Bahir Dar University.
The content of 933.319 will be:
1. Introduction into the agriculture and cultural life in Ethiopia
2. In depth analysis of specific topics related to organic smallholder farming
3. Discusssions with ethiopian students at BOKU about key challenges in Ethiopia
First meeting: 2.october: 18-19
Second meeting: 9.october: 18-19
All other meetings: 17-19
- Previous knowledge expected
1. Basic knowledge on organic agriculture required (e.g. exam in an introductory course on organic farming).
2. Students of the Master OF & AES is given priority in the registration, then second priority is given to other master students. Bachelor degree is a precondition.
3. Further more for participating good skills in reading and analysing scientific and technical literature, and presenting the results, are of advantage.
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
Upon completion of this course the students will be able to:
1. Understand the challenges of smallholder farming in Ethiopia and specificlly in organic farming
2. Present and critically discuss selected topics about agriculture and living conditions in Ethiopia
3. Write an informative paper about Ethiopian agriculture and to summarize the most relevant infos in a poster format, which will be used for 933.323
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.