932308 Animal production systems
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Hintze, Sara , Zollitsch, Werner , Winckler, Christoph , Knaus, Wilhelm Friedrich , Leeb, Christine , Kugler, Andreas , Wimmler, Cäcilia
- Division of Livestock Sciences (NUWI)
- Offered in
- Wintersemester 2017/18
- Languages of instruction
- Englisch, Deutsch
General information: The umbrella topic changes annually; current topics of relevance to livestock production will be addressed in the seminar.
The students will formulate their topic and the underlying research question on their own, but will be assisted by the lecturers on demand.
The topic and the research question must address the animal production system from an overall perspective and must not be narrowed down towards a segmented approach! Topics such as "The cattle breeding programme xy", "Use of feedstuff ABC in growing-fattening pigs", "Animal friendly husbandry systems for ......" etc. will not be accepted!
Within the chosen topic, a research question is to be formulated and answered, based on the information collected.
Content for the upcoming winter semester (2017/18): The umbrella topic will be "Regional animal production systems: Adapted to local conditions?".
Within this topic, the following aspects will have to be covered by students
* Choose an animal production system at national or international (global) level.
* Provide thorough description of the animal production system and its functionalities.
* Assess the degree of adaptation of the animal production system regarding the regional conditions in terms of genetic background of animals, husbandry and feeding systems, etc. Depending on the research question, a certain focus on one of these aspects is possible, as long as the overall production system is addressed.
* Provide an outlook on the (likely) future development of the animal production system.
- Previous knowledge expected
Sound knowledge of the basics of animal breeding, husbandry and nutrition which are at least equivalent to the respective Bachelor-courses is an indispensable precondition. IMPORTANT: incoming students (mobility programmes) are warmly welcome, but are strongly advised to critically reflect their respective knowledge BEFORE they register for this course! The ability to integrate different disciplinary perspectives at the level of production systems is absolutely necessary for describing and analysing complex problems in animal production systems. Having achieved a first insight into the characteristics of Animal Production System is expected, as well as into approaches which are suitable for addressing the production system in its entirety.
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
Achieving the ability to work independently around the chosen research question and to present the relevant results of this work.
Ability to integrate disciplinary perspectives and solutions into an approach that is adequately addressing the most important elements of animal production systems, including their interactions.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.