120029 English for science and technology (C1)
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Flitner, Cristina , Cooper, Swantje , Zefferer, Claudia
- Center for International Relations (CIR)
- Offered in
- Wintersemester 2017/18
- Languages of instruction
English for Specific Purposes (Englische Fachsprache) is offered as a lecture with exercise character running for two consecutive semesters. Its aim is to acquaint students with the basic and most common academic and scientific communication assets in English or 'Globish', rather. Predefined tasks are: individually drafting and presenting a scientific poster and writing a 1500 word scientific paper on a topic of choice. Terminology and glossary work will allow for specific vocabulary building and regular topic related debates which are prepared by specific articles and texts will enhance the participant's ability to argue and present in English in a factual and substantive manner.
- Previous knowledge expected
- Students must have completed English IV with "sehr gut" or "gut".
- They must attend the introductory session of the course.
If you attended a year abroad at an English-speaking university, kindly let us know upon registration.
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
The aim of this course is that students will master effective scientific communication in English, both in oral and written form with particular focus on subjects relevant to students studying at BOKU.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.