Master's thesis written and defended at BOKU
In order to graduate from your Master Progamme you have to have positive completed all the courses stated according to your curriculum as well as the positive graded Master's thesis.
- Before submitting the graduation documents you will need to submit the list of your courses for this Master Programme to undergo a pre-check at the Study services.
- Afterwards you will receive an e-mail on what the next steps (e.g. a list of documents to be submitted for registrating to the Master Exam, or accreditation/recognition of exams from other universities etc.)
NOTE: The pre-check of the list of your courses can take some weeks, therefore you need to make sure to submit it early enough.
NOTE: After submitting the documents for the Master Exam and graduation, there is a legal time-frame of about 3 weeks unitl your Master Exam can take place.
You have to register your Master's thesis as soon as the task and the supervisors have been fixed. According to the law the Master's thesis has to be registered before you start working on it.
After fulfilling the requirements of your curriculum you have to submit the required documents for graduating at the Study services (Gregor-Mendel-Straße 33, 1180 Wien) at least 3 weeks before your defence.
The Master's thesis defence at BOKU is a presentation and defense of your Master's thesis.
On October 1, 2014, new graduation guidelines came into force. According to these regulations the student coordinates a date for the defence with two university teachers (professors /"habilitated") - one of them being the main thesis supervisor. The chair for the defence will be appointed by the Study services and has to be a member of a different department than the thesis supervisor. Students have the possibility to suggest a chair. The co-supervisor from the home university can take part in the defense via video-conference or can be physically present; the BOKU administrative coordinator can help you with organising the video conference.
The defence (45 minutes) consists of a presentation (20 minutes) and a scientific discussion. Further details can be found in the guidelines.
Required documents for your graduation:
- Application form for the Master's thesis defense (model curriculum) = form “Anmeldung zur Master Defensio (Mustercurriculum)” (please download it here 3. Application for a defensio)
- Admission Letter or BOKU Bachelor Certificate
- Grading of the Master's thesis (has to be filled by the supervisor)
- Grading of the Master's thesis-Defensio (has to be filled by supervisor)
- Confirmation of your Co-Supervisor
- Abstract: Data-input and Print-Out Confirmation (if Master's thesis written at BOKU)
- 1 printed Master's thesis in Hardcover (if Master's thesis written at BOKU)
- Copy of the first page of your Master's thesis
- Clearance of your library account (info-guide)
- Transcript of Records from all other attended universities during your Master Programme (if applicable)
- Accreditation/Recognition of all attended courses at a partner university during the Master programme (Info-Guide)
- UStat questionnaire (Info-Guide UStat - Info-Guide Substitute Code)