In order to graduate from your Master's Programme you must have positively completed all the courses according to your curriculum ("Studienplan") as well as the positively graded Master's thesis and defensio.
After fulfilling the regulations of your curriculum, you will have to submit the required documents for graduation in the BOKU Graduation Office (= Study services, Gregor-Mendel-Str. 33, 1180 Vienna).
At least 3 weeks before submitting the required documents, you will have to hand in your Individual Course Plan (ICP) to the administrative support at ZIB for a pre-check of your courses: Contact
Depending on where the Master's thesis was written and defended, the list of required documents is different.
The list and forms of the required documents is to be found on the webpage of the Study services.
Master's thesis written and defended at BOKU
You have to register your Master's thesis as soon as the task and the supervisors have been fixed. According to the law the Master's thesis has to be registered before you start working on it.
Please have your Transcript of Records from the home university checked a semester in advance, first at ZIB (administrative coordinator) and then at the Study services.
Before you have your documents checked, you have to enter all courses done at the partner university (not BOKU) in your BOKUonline account (one data sheet per course) (info-guide accreditation/recognition)
1. Pre-Check at Study services
After fulfilling the requirements of your curriculum, you have do a pre-check of your signed ICP at study services at least 3 weeks before your defence. Please contact the administrative support at the Center for International Relations on time!
The Master's thesis defence at BOKU is a presentation and defense of your Master's thesis. On October 1, 2014, new graduation guidelines came into force. According to these regulations the student coordinates a date for the defence with two university teachers (professors /"habilitated") - one of them being the main thesis supervisor. The chair for the defence will be appointed by the Study services and has to be a member of a different department than the thesis supervisor. Students have the possibility to suggest a chair. The co-supervisor from the home university can take part in the defense via video-conference or can be physically present; the BOKU administrative coordinator can help you with organising the video conference. The defence (45 minutes) consists of a presentation (20 minutes) and a scientific discussion. Further details can be found in the guidelines.
2. Required documents for your graduation:
- Application form for the Master's thesis defense = form “Anmeldung zur Master Defensio (Mustercurriculum)” (please download it here -> "1. For a defensio")
- Admission Letter or BOKU Bachelor Certificate
- Grading of the Master's thesis (has to be filled by the supervisor)
- Grading of the Master's thesis-Defensio (has to be filled by supervisor)
- Confirmation of your Co-Supervisor
- Abstract: Data-input and Print-Out Confirmation (if Master's thesis written at BOKU)
- 1 printed Master's thesis in Hardcover (if Master's thesis written at BOKU)
- Copy of the first page of your Master's thesis
- Clearance of your library account (info-guide)
- Individual Course Plan (NEW: ICP 2017): signed by student, administrative supporter and study programme coordinator
- Transcript of Records from all other attended universities during your Master Programme
- Accreditation/Recognition of all attended courses at a partner university during the Master programme (Info-Guide)
- UStat questionnaire (Info-Guide UStat - Info-Guide Substitute Code)
Please also take a look at BOKU's website graduation from international master's degree programmes!