Library loan / User account
- Borrowing books from the University Library is free of charge.
- Fines will be charged if the book is not returned on time.
- to obtain a library card please register at the information desk
- to borrow books you have to be 18 or older and hold a valid library card
- the library card is valid for all department libraries of the Library of the University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences equipped with the PC-based lending system
- to obtain a library card you need the following, according to your status at the University:
- staff of the University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences: Fill in the application form and get it signed by the head of your department. Application form for staff members pdf-format / doc-format
- Students of the University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences: Fill in the application form and bring along your student ID (BOKUcard). Application form for users pdf-format / doc-format
- Other users: Fill in the application form and bring along a photo identification and the residence registration form ("Meldezettel"). Application form for users pdf-format / doc-format
- The signatory acknowledges with her/his signature on the application form the library regulations of the university library. The signatory is liable for abusive usage of her/his library card. If the library card is lost, please inform the library immediately, your account will be locked to prevent abusive usage of your library card. The signatory commits herself/himself to inform the library if her/his address changes and/or the circumstances which the lending allowance is based on change.
Please read the legal information available on the application form.
- other information
- Persons below the age of 18 additionally need a declaration of consent and liability signed by a parent or their legal guardian
- Non-EU citizens not studying at an Austrian university must place a € 220,-- deposit, which is refunded after all borrowed books have been returned.
- It is possible to borrow up to 15 books concurrently from the main library.
- Department libraries may have other terms of usage, please contact the appropriate department library for information.
- Students writing their diploma/master thesis or dissertation may, upon request, borrow more books.
- Most books in the main library can be borrowed. The status of the book can be seen either through the online catalogue of the library or in the open-access area, where each book has a coloured sticker:
- Books with a normal loan period (30 days) have the online-catalogue status "Entlehnbar", in the open-access area they are marked green. Books belonging to the Textbook Collection are marked with a blue sticker and have the same 30 days loan-period.
- Books that may not be borrowed and are for use in the library only have the online-catalogue status "Nicht entlehnbar" and are marked red in the open-access area.
The following items cannot be borrowed:
- Journals, periodicals
- Reference materials
- technical standards
- Diploma and master theses published from 2008 up to present
- books published before 1900
- large books (shelfmarks beginning with III and IV)
- rare and valuable books
- loose-leaf items/publications
- other books marked with "Nicht entlehnbar"
Audio-visual materials, microfiche and CD-ROMs have the same borrowing regulations as books from the open-access area or closed stacks.
- The loan period is 30 days for books with the status "Entlehnbar".
- It is possible to extend the loan period, if no other user has reserved the book and the loan period has not already expired (the maximum possible loan period is 120 days per item).
- Please use your library user-account to extend the loan period online.
- Please bear in mind, that if one of the borrowed books is overdue it is impossible to borrow new books or to extend the loan period of other books.
- If a book is borrowed by another user, it is possible to reserve it in the library user-account of the online catalogue.
- If you reserve a book from the textbook collection no specific copy will be reserved. Your reservation will be added to a waiting list, and depending on your place, you will get the next available copy of the book you reserved. The book will be available for you to pick up at the lending department for ten days. If you don’t need the book anymore please contact the library.
- To help avoiding fees for overdue books the library will send you an e-mail four days before the book is due.
- This e-mail is a voluntary service from the library.
- Failure of delivery of this e-mail does not affect the liability to pay the fees.
- Be sure to keep the e-mail address in your library user-account up to date.
Return the items
- Please return the books at the counter of the lending department.
- Outside opening hours, books can be returned trough the red-box in the foyer of the building where the main library is situated (Wilhelm-Exner-Haus).
- The books will be returned the following business-day by the library staff, so please return the borrowed books on time.
- It is possible to return books by mail (only registered mail) to the following address: UB Bodenkultur Wien - Peter Jordan-Straße 82 - A-1190 Wien
- If a book is not returned on time, the library will send an overdue notice to the user.
- This will be repeated two times.
- The time span between the overdue notices is seven days.
- The first two notices will be send, if available, per e-mail, if not, the notices will be sent by mail.
- The third overdue notice will be sent by registered mail. If the book is still not returned the library reserves the right to take according steps.
If you return books too late you will be charged as follows:
- 1st overdue notice € 2,00
- 2nd overdue notice € 4,00
- 3rd overdue notice € 6,00
- For every overdue book € 0,20 will be charged per business day
Lost or damaged books
- The user is responsible for handling the books with care.
- If a book is damaged the library will charge the user for the replacement costs.
- If an item/book is lost, the user has to replace it with the same edition. If the book/item is unavailable the user must pay the amount of the books worth to the university library. Please inform the university library immediately, if you have lost a book, otherwise overdue notices and the corresponding fines may arise.
In case of questions please contact the information desk: